Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Catskill Weekend

This weekend my family and I headed up to Potter Hollow, way up in the Catskills, to tend to untended family business.

It was such a beautiful day, the sun was warm, the hills were all autumn-rainbows upon unbelievable carpets of green, all capped underneath a cloudless dome of blue. Every time I go up there, all I think is, "I could live here! I want to live here.." But beautiful landscapes and charming farmhouses aside, there's just not much going on up there. If I had a career writing & illustrating children's stories, maybe. But as a starving architect? No.

And finally, finally, after two hectic life-altering years, we finally planted Dad's headstone in the ground, next to Oma and Opa in the picture-perfect Potter Hollow Cemetery at the base of the mountain upon which our family house sits. Our house... which we are desperately trying to sell, in an unsellable market.

No comments: