Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Oh, Bones!

I'm in what feels like an eternal job hunt. This economy is a sick dog that doesn't seem to be recovering very quickly. There are prospects, but none of them are immediate. It's a waiting process. I'm standing in a long line, awaiting my turn, and it's about nearly as aggravating as waiting in line during Christmas shopping!

I've been joking with my friends, saying that I'm considering placing myself into cryogenic stasis until the economy becomes well again. And that, of course, got me started thinking about what it would actually be like to BE in cryogenic stasis. It's almost like being a mummy, but a living mummy. And that's really cool! And then that of course got me thinking about mummies, and tombs, and all the Religious implications of all of that (including the obvious Religious implications of cryogenic stasis), and THAT all got me thinking about. . . . .

The Capuchin Crypt!!

If you've never heard of it before, the Capuchin Crypt is underneath the Capuchin Church in Rome, and is the final resting place for over 4,000 Capuchin friars who died between 1528 and 1870, as well as several poor Romans.The soil in the crypt was brought over from Jerusalem. The thing that's so freakin' fascinating about this crypt is that every inch of it is completely decorated with bones! And THAT is another thing that connects my interest to the Capuchin Crypt- in a certain way, it is "bone architecture". Cool, right? Yes, right! Just look at this stuff:


Even the chandeliers are made from bones!


And check out this dude on the ceiling:



I wonder if they got to pick what to wear for eternity?





This one picture is my favorite one of them all, but I can't seem to find a hi-res version anywhere:



It just amazes me. Eventually sometime before I die I will make it to Rome, and while I am there I will definitely stop by the Capuchin Crypt to say "Hi!" to all the friars there. Nathaniel Hawthorne apparently favored the place- so much that he even set a climactic scene in The Marble Farm in the Cemetery of the Capuchins. And if it's cool enough for Hawthorne, it's cool enough for me.