Monday, February 8, 2010

Marcel Breuer

"Avatar" was definitely breathlessly amazing! It didn't feel like I was watching a movie. It felt more like I was experiencing... something. I can't nail it down. But it was definitely worth seeing! I think everyone needs to see it, even if sci-fi ain't your thing. James Cameron created another world, literally. It deserves the highest praise ever.

OK. ..

I have Marcel Breuer on my mind today. He's one of my favorite architects. And here he is. Ain't he dashing??

I suppose here in New York he's most well-known for the Whitney Museum:

His furniture designs are extremely popular, but I personally prefer his buildings. Very few architects were true masters of concrete. And he was one of them. Check this out- Saint John's Abbey in Collegeville, Minnesota:


And anyone who's traveled back and forth between New England and New York on a regular basis will recognize this unique object in New Haven Connecticut, the Armstrong Building, now owned (and defaced) by the satan-on-earth company, IKEA:


And finally, another local gem here in NYC (and one of my top 10 favorite buildings ever), Begrisch Hall at Bronx Community College:


No comments: