Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Inspiration

Every now and then I'll let one of my pictures influence / inspire one of my poems. And vise versa too. Here's an example:
The poem is very abstract, as it is meant to be. One of my favorite places in the whole wide world is the Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I have a whole series that I shot in that cemetery, and one of them is this image below:


It's hard to figure out what that is, but it's actually a headstone. Not your traditional design, obviously. It was made out of metal, probably aluminum. It was very sculptural and I stood there moving about it for a good many minutes before shooting it. And if you look closely at the picture, you'll see that it's actually an abstracted doorway, partially open. Now, if you want, go back and reread my poem, and see how I let this image inspire me. And now the poem may also not seem so abstract, but rather a lot more literal.

Cemeteries always put me in a pleasant, relaxed mood. I don't find them depressing at all. Or sad. I just find them amazingly peaceful, beautiful, timeless. If you like to haunt cemeteries like I do, I fully recommend a trek to Mount Auburn Cemetery! You can learn more about it here on Wikipedia.

I haven't written a whole lot of poetry over the past two years, because a lot of other things have been going on inside my head that don't particularly translate well to poetry. But there are other things I want to try out, and soon you may... MAY start seeing/hearing some of those things here on this blog.

That's it for now. I'll close with a photo I took outside my house this morning during the beginning of this massive snow storm we're getting here today in Brooklyn:

No comments: